Sarasota Memorial’s nationally ranked Cardiovascular Surgery program, led by Dr. Jeffrey Sell, features world-class facilities, one of the most advanced surgical teams in Florida and the region's largest Robotic Surgery program. Our physician team performs more than 1,000 cardiovascular surgeries and 8,000 procedures each year. Our surgeons routinely perform some of the most complex procedures, consistently delivering results that exceed national benchmarks.
Our cardiac surgery team—with decades of experience evaluating and treating irregular heartbeat, heart attack, heart failure, heart surgery, valve disorders and other cardiovascular disorders—continuously strives to achieve the best possible outcome for every patient.
Collaboration across clinical cardiology, interventional cardiology and cardiac surgery is the cornerstone of our heart program and the key to our high success rates. Through multidisciplinary cardiac conferences, our specialists work as a team to evaluate complex cases and match a patient with the right procedure, focusing on the least invasive and best treatment options available. Program highlights include:
- Rapid assessment and treatment of chest pain and heart attack.
- Complete cardiac catheterization capabilities, including emergency angioplasty and induced hypothermia.
- Interventional and neurointerventional radiologists with carotid angiography and carotid stenting for people too frail to undergo surgery.
- Electrophysiology labs with advanced mapping and ablation therapies to treat irregular heartbeats and cure deadly arrhythmias without surgery.
- Technologically advanced, intelligent operating rooms, called “iSuites,” that include a Hybrid OR, robotic surgery suites and interventional / neurointerventional radiology suites. Compared to traditional cardiac procedures, this ultra-precise technology results in less surgery-related pain, a significantly lower risk of surgical infection and a faster recovery time.
- A Valve Clinic and Structural Heart Program that offers a multidisciplinary team of cardiovascular specialists to evaluate, support and manage the care of patients with complex valve disorders and structural heart disease.
- A Clinical Research Institute with ongoing studies, covering a cross-section of disciplines.
- A full spectrum of preventive, early detection and follow-up care, including a network of Anticoagulation Clinics, a Heart Failure Treatment Center, a Secondary Stroke and TIA Prevention Clinic, and a Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation program.
- Superior patient care, outcomes and performance that have been consistently recognized by IBM Watson Health, the American Heart Association, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, US News & World Report, Newsweek Magazine, the American College of Cardiology, and the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
You Deserve an Expert Second Opinion!
If you have been told that your only option is traditional, open-heart surgery or that you are not a candidate for surgery, you deserve to seek a second opinion.
Sarasota Memorial’s cardiac surgeons have performed thousands of minimally invasive and robotic procedures and have some of the nation’s best clinical outcomes on even the most challenging cases. Our surgeons may be able to find a better, less invasive way to help you.
Many cardiac and thoracic procedures can be performed minimally invasively or robotically, with benefits including:
- Half-inch or smaller incision; small (or no) scar
- Less pain
- Less bleeding
- Lower risk of infection, faster healing
If you have been diagnosed with any of the following cardiovascular conditions, you can seek a second opinion before agreeing to a course of treatment:
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Mitral Valve Prolapse
- Aortic Aneurysm
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Carotid Disease
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM)
- Conditions requiring valve repair or valve replacement
Second-opinion consults can resolve lingering doubts and perhaps open the door to alternative solutions. An informed decision is the best decision.
You deserve to know all of your options. Schedule a consultation today to find out how we can help. Call us at 941-917-8791.