Surgery at SMH-Venice
When you need surgery, you want the best surgeons using the most advanced techniques and tools available. At the new Sarasota Memorial Hospital-Venice, that’s just what you’ll find — including the latest in minimally invasive technologies for laparoscopic, endoscopic and robotic surgery.
For surgeon referrals by specialty or location, call 941-917-7777, or browse our online physician directory.
The all-new SMH-Venice features 6 advanced surgical suites. Each OR - including those dedicated for emergency and scheduled obstetrical procedures - is designed with all-stainless walls and the CleanSuite air-filtration system for superior infection control. The CleanSuite OR ceiling system directs airborne particles and contaminants away from surgical patients and staff, while encompassing the room in HEPA-filtered air, to achieve air quality that surpasses the standard for ORs by 1,000 times.
Another way our surgical and procedural teams help ensure the safest environment and best outcome for our patients is by requiring that all Sarasota Memorial surgery patients complete pre-admission testing (PAT). PAT, or pre-surgery testing, also gives the surgical team information about any medical conditions that could impact the procedure or recovery.
Pre-Admission Testing Before Surgery
What to Bring to PAT
- Completed Anesthesia Questionnaire. (Click here for a printable PDF.)
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination, if you've been vaccinated and choose to defer pre-procedure COVID-19 testing; a hard copy of the vaccination record is preferred.
- List of your current medications (including over-the-counter medicines and herbal supplements); be sure to note the dosage for each and how often you take them.
- List of past surgical procedures, including the year and surgery site.
- Names of your doctor(s), their telephone number(s) and the date of your most recent visit to them.
When your surgery scheduler reaches out to schedule your surgical procedure, they will also make your appointment for PAT.
What to Expect: PAT appointments typically take 1 to 2 hours. Vital signs, height and weight will be recorded, and a nurse will discuss your health history and ask what medications you're taking. The PAT process might require having blood work drawn, a chest X-ray taken and/or an electrocardiogram. For some surgeries or procedures, COVID-19 testing is required, unless the patient provides proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Where to Go: At the Sarasota Memorial Hospital-Venice campus, the PAT office is conveniently located on the first floor, near the main entrance and HealthConnection.