Exceptional Care, Close to Home
Sarasota Memorial and Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital collaborate to provide exceptional care for children. Thanks to our team of pediatric specialists at our Sarasota campus and our affiliation with Johns Hopkins All Children’s, SMH pediatric patients have access to the most advanced care in the nation.
We're Here to Help
Wondering how to prepare your child for his/her hospital visit? Call 941-917-4755 to speak with our Child Life Specialist.
For answers to other questions and for more information, call the Pediatric Unit at 941-917-7660.
The 28-bed Pediatric Unit at the Sarasota Memorial Hospital - Sarasota Campus offers 24-hour care with:
- Pediatric hospitalists – Our board-certified, specialty physicians are trained in infant, child and adolescent medicine.
- Pediatric registered nurses – Our staff has earned Magnet recognition, the nation’s highest honor in nursing.
- Child life specialist – Our Master’s trained, certified child life specialist helps patients and families cope with stress and uncertainty of illness, injury and treatment. Interventions include therapeutic play, preparation, and education to reduce fear, anxiety, or pain.
- Family-centered care – Parents are active partners on their child’s care team, often staying overnight with their children, and relaxing in the family alcove with TV, snacks and drinks, refrigerator and microwave.
- Playful distractions – With kid-friendly decor, an inviting playroom with colorful saltwater aquarium, and cubbies brimming with toys and games, our Pediatric Unit is designed to help children relax and have a little fun during their hospital stay.
- Pet therapy – Pet therapists decrease stress for children and families during hospitalization. Not only do the children love when the pets come to visit, but families and staff share in the fun as well.
- Music Room – Pediatric patients enjoy rock-star treatment, thanks to the generosity of Brian Johnson, lead singer of AC/DC, and his wife Brenda. The Johnsons donated musical equipment – including drums, guitars and keyboard –with support from the Sarasota Memorial Healthcare Foundation to help reduce children’s anxiety during a hospital stay.
- Safety and security – The Pediatric Unit is a locked, secure environment with restricted access to ensure the safety of your child. All guardians receive a blue bracelet for the duration of your child’s hospital stay, and visitors receive a visitor badge that they wear during their visit.